Vitek's is known primarily for its "Gut Pak," their take on a Frito pie. They do the Gut Pak very well so we were excited to try their other offerings and check out their newly expanded building. We should have stuck with our gut (pak).
|Vitek's new interior|
Brisket - Overall Grade: C-
- Tenderness/Bite: (7) The meat was not mushy and had a decent amount of chew without being tough.
- Juiciness: (6) The meat was moist without being greasy or slimy.
- Meat Flavor: (3) The meat was bland and uninteresting. We noted that it had a generic lunchmeat taste. It was not "beefy."
- Smoke Flavor: (3) Very light smoke taste. It would be difficult to notice if we weren't looking for it.
- Bark/Rub: (2) No crust to speak of or noticeable difference between the inside and outside portions of the meat. No chili pepper or salt flavor.
- Sauce: (3) The sauce was very generic. We all agreed that it was just a step up from ketchup. Slightly acidic and slightly sweet with a little black pepper flavor.
- Tenderness/Bite: (7) The ribs were tender and pulled away from the bone with a decent amount of chew.
- Juiciness: (7) The ribs could have been a tad more moist.
- Meat Flavor: (7) The ribs had a good meaty and salty flavor.
- Smoke Flavor: (7) Smoke flavor was highly present, accompanied the meat well, and was not overpowering.
- Bark/Rub: (7) The outer portion of the ribs had a good black pepper and salt flavor and a good chew, almost like a tender beef jerky.
- Sauce: (3) Same sauce as brisket
Other Comments: Vitek's smokes their barbecue with Hickory wood.